Despite refilling your birth control pills regularly and even having backup condoms at the ready, accidents happen. Sometimes, you forget one or more doses of birth control pills during your busy schedule. The condom might have slipped off or broken during the sexual intercourse. Now, what to do?
Not to worry, these days emergency contraceptives have an effectiveness rate of over 90% in preventing unwanted pregnancies. However, it is important to take the emergency pill as soon as possible after the unprotected sex or it won’t work.
In this article, we will talk about emergency contraceptives, how do they work, their potential side effects, and where you can get these morning-after pills in Singapore.
What is Emergency Contraception?
Emergency contraception is a highly effective method of birth control that is commonly used to prevent unwanted pregnancy after having unprotected sexual intercourse. Emergency contraception is recommended to be taken within 72 to 120 hours after unprotected sex. However, the sooner you take them, the more effective they will be at preventing the pregnancy.
Emergency contraception prevents unwanted pregnancy by either killing the sperm before it reaches the egg or by delaying the ovulation to stop fertilization. One important thing about emergency contraception is that it does not induce an abortion or miscarriage.
There are two types of emergency contraception- Copper Intrauterine Device (IUD) and Emergency Contraceptive Pills (ECPs). Emergency contraceptive pills are the most commonly used emergency contraception form.
Emergency contraception pills are commonly called morning-after pills. These are hormonal pills that contain a significantly higher amount of hormone that is found in birth control pills. Currently, there are two main types of emergency contraceptive pills- one contains the hormone called levonorgestrel (sold under the brand name Postinor)and the other has the hormone ulipristal acetate (sold under the brand name Ella).
How to buy morning-after pills in Singapore?
In Singapore, morning-after pills are not sold as over-the-counter medicines. One needs to have a prescription from the doctor to buy the emergency contraceptive pills. While most of the doctors in Singapore are qualified to prescribe these emergency pills, not every clinic may have it in stock or have a team that is experienced in women’s health. Moreover, it is also important that you consult with a doctor who canperiodTwo types of morning-after pills are address your concern without any judgment. Since it is crucial to take the emergency contraceptive pill as soon as possible after unprotected sex, we suggest you go for these top online sites where you can consult with a doctor online and get your emergency contraceptive pill delivered to your home within hours.
Zoey is an online platform that is backed by a team of talented individuals as well as doctors with over 20 years of experience in women’s health.
They believe that your consultations should be about you and your needs, which is why their goal is to make your sessions simple, easy and worry-free. Trust that you’ll get the highest level of care from their caring and knowledgeable doctors and enjoy a comfortable and stress-free experience at a price you can afford.
Since they understand the struggles the come with some women’s health issues, their team makes their discreet services accessible to all. From their text-based consult to their free, discreet 4-hour delivery, they always make sure to emphasize privacy, speed, and low cost.
They’re here to answer any questions you have about how your mental or physical state is. If you or any of your loved ones need to consult a medical professionals regarding your health, you can be sure that Zoey will be here to help you and provide you with emergency contraception pills in Singapore.
Siena is the most trusted name for emergency contraception in Singapore. Their medical team prescribes the right morning-after pill and delivers it to your doorstep within 4 hours. Other than emergency contraception and morning-after pills, Siena also offers acne treatment, birth control pills and patches, hair loss treatment, weight management, and herpes treatment. Siena is a one-stop solution for affordable and personalized healthcare that you can access from anywhere and at any time.
How does it work?
- Complete the online questionnaire about your lifestyle and medical history
- After reviewing your details, a doctor will video call you for teleconsultation to determine the right contraceptives for you
- The prescribed morning-after pills will be delivered to your doorstep in a discreet packing
Why choose Siena for emergency contraception online?
- The most affordable contraceptives online
- Free goodies with the delivery of your morning-after pills
- FDA-approved contraceptives from two brands
- Online access to your prescription and other medical documents
What do people have to say about Siena Health?
“Service was seamless. Encountered some technical issue and it was resolved almost immediately. Received follow up what’s app messages right after tele-consultation from the doctor. Delivery of contraceptive patch was super fast too. Definitely recommend Siena. Good job team.”- Sonia S
“I needed an emergency contraceptive pill and Siena got back to me as soon as possible. The doctor went through with me the procedure very detailed and I got my contraceptive pills within couple hours after my consultation even though it was expected to be delivered later. The price is super affordable too!!”- Du Nguyen
If you had unprotected sex or if your primary birth control method did not work, you can take emergency contraception. Buy emergency contraception online from withJuno at an affordable price. They deliver your morning-after pill to your doorstep within 4-hrs and that too in discreet packing. You can choose from the two FDA-approved brands of emergency contraception or their healthcare professional will prescribe you depending on your medical history and lifestyle.
How does it work?
- Share a few details about yourself
- Teleconsult a doctor for morning-after pills
- Get your contraceptive within 4-hrs in a discreet packing
Why choose withJuno for the morning-after pills in Singapore?
- Registered and FDA-approved emergency contraceptive pills
- 100% online process for consultation and prescription for morning-after pills
- Prescribed by SG licensed healthcare professionals
- Free delivery of emergency birth control pills in discreet packaging within 4 hours
Phone- +65 6951 5393
You can trust Zoey when it comes to buying emergency contraceptive pills online in Singapore. If you have had unprotected sex, then getting emergency contraceptive pills in the shortest time period is very crucial. The team at Zoey completely understands that it is a time-sensitive prescription and hence, promises to deliver your morning-after pills within 4-hours at your home without any extra cost.
How does it work?
- Complete an online evaluation that will cover your health, lifestyle, symptoms, and medical history so that doctors determine the right emergency contraceptive for you
- Their doctor will have a video consultation or teleconsultation with you at a selected time
- The prescribed contraceptive pill will get delivered to your doorstep within 4 hours at no extra cost
Why choose Zoey for morning-after pills in Singapore?
- Emergency contraceptives are prescribed by SG licensed doctors
- 2 brands of morning-after pills to choose from
- Free 4 hour delivery of emergency contraception in discreet packing
- Consult a doctor online from the comfort of your home
Phone- +65 6980 0905
What do people have to say about Zoey?
“Super simple- quiz, doc consult, then boom! Got my meds that same day. Pretty impressive.”- Megan.C
“Going to the doctor means taking leave from work, I really want my weekends to myself, so I was completely happy that they deliver to me.”- Emily.P
With Ease, you can easily save a lot of time on traveling to a clinic and then to a pharmacy for emergency contraceptive pills. After unprotected sex, taking an emergency pill is very important if you do not want to get pregnant. In this time-sensitive situation, waiting in a long queue at a clinic and talking to a doctor is tiring and awkward at the same time. Ease makes all this cumbersome process simple and easy through an online consultation with a doctor and delivery of emergency contraceptive pills to your doorstep within hours.
How does it work?
- Spend 5-10 mins on completing an online questionnaire related to your health, medical history, and lifestyle
- Get an online appointment with the doctor in just 5 mins
- Get your prescribed contraceptive pills delivered to your doorstep within 4 hours
Why choose Ease for buying morning-after pills online in Singapore?
- Hassle-free and discreet delivery of emergency pills
- Save your time on traveling to a clinic and a pharmacy for morning-after pills
- Judgement-free zone
- Delivery of emergency contraceptive pill within 4 hours
- Prescription of emergency contraception is from Singapore licensed doctors only
What do people have to say about Ease?
“I opted for a teleconsultation on short notice but Ease was prompt in coordinating one for me. The doctor (did not catch his name) was really helpful with his recommendations. I was sent links to purchase the products shortly after the call too. All in all, a good and seamless experience, would recommend!”- Dian MS
“Super grateful that we have this level of access to women’s health. Delivery is super fast, and even the videos appointments with the doctors are assuring and they cover all that you need to know. I feel very well taken care of. ❤️”- Shelby Sofya S
- DA-Doctor Anywhere
Avoid those awkward and judgemental looks at a clinic from other patients and order your emergency contraceptives or morning-after pills online with Doctor Anywhere. With the DA app, you can order your emergency pills from anywhere and at any time in just a few taps. Their team of Singapore licensed doctors only prescribe FDA-approved emergency contraceptives that are highly effective if taken in a specific time duration after unprotected sex.
How does it work?
- Download Doctor Anywhere App from your App store and create an account with your email, Facebook, or Gmail id.
- Schedule an appointment for a video consultation with the doctor
- Receive your emergency pills at your home within 3 hours
Why choose Doctor Anywhere for refilling emergency contraceptive pills?
- Discreet consultation with the doctor
- Save on traveling time and cost and order emergency contraceptives online from the comfort of your home
- Doctors are available 24/7 for emergency contraceptive pills
- Free delivery of morning-after pills within 3 hours
Phone- +65 3158 4622
What do people have to say about Doctor Anywhere?
“Extremely happy with my experience with this application. Consulted Dr Rachel Chin, who is pleasant to speak to. Medication was delivered 1.5 hours after consultation. Would highly recommend DOCTOR ANYWHERE”- June Tan
“First time using doc anywhere app, Smooth transaction very convenient n efficient really good for those who really in a bad shape n feel very weak to walk to the clinic juz to c a doc n not only that we can have more time to rest at home really appreciate…..”- Su Hana
The morning-after pill works as emergency contraception to prevent pregnancy. These emergency contraceptive pills delay or stop ovulation that helps to prevent unwanted pregnancy. With Ferne, you can easily and instantly connect with a doctor online to get the right emergency contraception. Once prescribed, you get your morning-after pill delivered to your doorstep within 4 hours.
How does it work?
- Book a video consultation with the doctor at your preferred time
- Consult with a doctor via call or video to get the right emergency contraception
- Get your emergency contraception delivered to your doorstep within 4 hours
Why choose Ferne for online emergency contraceptives in Singapore?
- No need to face any awkwardness or judgments in a clinic
- FDA-approved emergency contraception
- Completely confidential and discreet process of consultation and delivery of medicine
- Delivery of your morning-after pill to your home within 4 hours
How effective is the morning-after pill?
The efficacy of the morning-after pill decreases with the delay in taking the dose after unprotected sexual intercourse.
There are two types of morning-after pills that are available in Singapore:
- Ulipristal acetate sold under the brand name Ella- The Ella morning-after pill has to be taken within 120 hours or 5 days after unprotected sex. These morning-after pills work by suppressing and delaying ovulation to stop fertilization. According to a report by WHO, ulipristal acetate ECPs have a success rate of 98.8% in preventing unwanted pregnancies.
- Levonorgestrel sold under the brand name Postinor- Levonorgestrel ECPs is the most effective type of morning-after pills with a success rate of 97.9 to 98.8%. These contraceptive pills prevent unwanted pregnancy by delaying the release of eggs from the ovary. These ECPs are the most effective when taken within 72 hours after unprotected sex.
What are the potential side effects of morning-after pills?
While morning-after pills are generally safe to consume for most women and do not have serious side effects, there is a slight possibility that you might experience some mild side effects. Emergency contraceptive pills contain a higher amount of hormones that are found in daily birth control pills that might cause the following side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting (if you throw up within 2 hours of taking the emergency contraceptive pill, you must consult with the doctor whether another dose is necessary or not)
- Mild stomach pain
- Breast tenderness
- Irregular menstrual cycle and spotting
It is recommended that you take the morning-after pill after having a light meal or a snack, to mitigate nausea and vomiting.
Q1. When should I use emergency contraception?
You should use emergency contraception in any of the following situations:
- Condom of your partner came off or broke during sex
- You have missed your dose of birth control pills
- You and your partner had unprotected sex
- Your method of birth control has failed
Q2. What should I know about emergency contraception if using it for the first time?
The most important thing to know if you are a first-time user is the exact number of hours that have been passed after your unprotected sex. It will determine whether the emergency contraceptive will work or not and which brand would be right for you. Despite being called the morning-after pill, the best time to take the emergency pill is right after unprotected sexual intercourse to improve its efficacy.
Q3. What to worry about when taking the morning-after pill?
Some common side effects associated with morning-after pills are mild abdominal cramps, spotting, slight delay or early onset of menstrual period, and nausea. The morning-after pill can be taken up to 3 to 5 days after sexual intercourse, depending on the brand of the pill. However, the sooner it is consumed, the more effective it is.
Just remember the morning-after pill does not protect against a future occurrence of unprotected sex. It should not be used as a regular form of the birth control measure.
Q4. What are the morning-after pills available in Singapore?
There are two brands of morning-after pills available in Singapore, Postinor, and Ella. Postinor is effective up to 72 hrs and Ella is effective up to 5 days after unprotected sexual intercourse. It is recommended to take 2 tablets of Postinor in 12 hrs difference whereas only one table of Ella is prescribed to be taken immediately.
Q5. Can I take the emergency contraceptive pill if I missed my dose of the combined oral contraceptive pill?
Before taking an emergency contraceptive, you should consult with the doctor if you are already on combined oral contraceptive pills and have missed one or more doses. If there is a dire need of taking an emergency pill, then you should resume your regular pills after 5 days to prevent interactions between the two different contraceptive pills.
During this period and after 7 days of starting your regular pill, you should use alternative barrier contraception like a condom during sexual intercourse.
Q6. How will I know if the emergency contraceptive pill has worked or not?
Emergency contraceptive pills are the most effective when taken immediately after unprotected sex. It is quite normal to experience some spotting a few days after taking the pill as it delays ovulation. You might experience some changes in your subsequent menstrual cycle as well, it could be delayed or come earlier, it might be heavier or lighter than usual.
If you do not get your period within three weeks after taking the morning-after pill, you must take a pregnancy test and consult with a doctor.
Moreover, if you have spotting or bleeding for more than 7 days after taking the emergency contraceptive pill or experience lower abdominal pain, you should consult your doctor.